Additional Diabetes Information:
While diabetes medications, insulin injections and various other tools and resources which can help control blood sugar levels and are big business and can cost a diabetic at least $10,000.00, there are many natural ways that can be even more effective at managing blood sugar levels in addition to being inexpensive. Do keep in mind that type 1 diabetes is irreversible and is not preventable but making healthy changes can help reduce symptoms and complication. Type 2 diabetes on the other hand can not only be prevented but can also be reversed. Here are 10 tips on how to reverse diabetes naturally.
How to Reverse Diabetes Naturally?
1. The first step of course is prevention. One important way to reduce your risk of developing diabetes is to keep your weight under control. At least 80 percent of those with type 2 diabetes are obese. Obesity is believed to lead to insulin resistance which increases the chance of developing pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
2. Once you have this disease, one very important step on how to reverse diabetes naturally is with your diet. Diet is at the heart of any diabetes treatment plan. The elements of the diet that directly impact your blood sugar levels are carbohydrates and sugar which are turned into glucose (simple sugars) by the body which is then released into the blood.
The hormone insulin is then produced by the beta cells in the pancreas and charged with removing this glucose from the blood and transferring it to the various cells of the body. Glucose is needed by the cells in the body because it provides the fuel or energy necessary for day to day activities. This is why many diabetics suffer from fatigue and weakness. Due to malfunctioning insulin resulting from insulin resistance or the body not producing enough or any insulin, glucose remains in the blood has the effect of starving the cells of the fuel they need.
Since carbohydrates and sugar affect blood sugar levels, you will need to make changes with these. Important changes you will need to make include eliminating refined carbohydrates. These include all the “white” foods made from refined grains such as white rice, white pasta, white bread, etc. These are devoid of nutrients including fiber and raise blood sugar levels the fastest as they travel through the digestive system very fast because they contain nothing for the body to grab hold on to in order to slow the digestion process which leads to blood sugar spikes.
Instead of refined carbs, switch to complex carbs which are digested slower by the body which can help to control blood sugar levels and prevent blood glucose spikes.
Sugar is another factor that you have to consider if you are considering steps on how to reverse diabetes naturally. Since sugar directly affects blood sugar levels you will have to consider reducing the amount of sugar you consume.
You may need to eliminate white sugar and foods that contain high amounts of processed sugar. Keep in mind that you may not need to eliminate sugar entirely but do be aware of how it can affect your blood sugar levels and make adjustments accordingly on how much to eat and when. Instead of eating sweet desserts every day, you may want to have a small piece of dessert once a week or once a month and so forth.
Fruits contain natural sugars (fructose) but since fruits contain many other beneficial vitamins and minerals, they should be okay to include on a diabetic diet which will tend to vary from one diabetic to another.
3. If your sugar levels are very high, one of the best ways to lower the levels very quickly is with exercise. Exercise is a crucial step as well as diet in order to reverse diabetes naturally. Exercise has many benefits for the general health and well being of the mind, body and spirit. For those with diabetes, exercise has the added benefit of being able to improve the sensitivity of the cells in the body to insulin which helps promote the movement of glucose from the blood to the cells where it is needed.
Before starting any exercise program, do check with your doctor because some exercises may not be suitable for a diabetic especially if you have developed certain diabetes related complications such as foot problems, vision problems, etc.
4. Fiber is an important aspect of how to reverse diabetes naturally as it helps to slow down the digestive process which helps to prevent blood sugar spikes. In addition to the fiber you get from complex carbohydrates discussed above, other excellent sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables, legumes, etc.
Soluble fiber which is abundant is foods like beans is especially important because it becomes gel like when combined with water which slows down digestion as it travels through the digestive tract while helps to control blood sugar levels.
Fiber is also important for any weight loss program because it will help you feel fuller sooner which will prevent overeating. Since many diabetics are overweight, incorporating more fiber in the diet can not only help control blood sugar levels but can also help with weight loss.
5. Significantly reduce or eliminate foods that contain saturated fats and trans fats. Trans fats (found in margarine for instance) should be eliminated entirely and this goes for everyone and not just diabetics. Saturated fats increase the risk of heart disease in the general population. For people with diabetes who are already at an increased risk of heart disease, saturated fats can make an already bad situation worse.
In addition to increasing the risk of heart disease, saturated fats can lead to insulin resistance which can lead to pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes. Saturated fats are commonly found in red meats, high fat dairy products, etc. Replace saturated fats with healthy fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids) commonly found in olives, olive oil, flaxseed oil, various nuts and seeds, cold water fish, etc. Making small changes gradually can have a huge impact in your fight against diabetes.
6. Consider adding cinnamon as certain compounds found in cinnamon have been shown to be capable of lowering blood sugar levels by helping the cells in the body absorb glucose like insulin and also help the body utilize blood sugar better.
7. Learn to effectively manage the stress in your life. Stress can raise blood sugar levels because it causes the release of stress hormones. Stress can also affect your blood sugar levels indirectly because it can cause overeating, not exercising, etc. A study showed that diabetics who were able to lower their stress levels were able to lower their blood sugar levels so stress management is very important for diabetics.
8. Another of the important tips on how to reverse diabetes naturally is to consider adding nutritional supplements containing vitamins C, D and E and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and calcium. These vitamins and minerals can help reduce the risk of diabetes related complications such as heart disease, eye disease and nerve damage. They can also help cells be more sensitive to insulin and significantly lower blood sugar levels.
9. In order to prevent blood sugar level spikes, you may want to consider eating several small meals a day instead of two or three large meals which can lead to more glucose levels than insulin will be able to handle.
10. Change your mind and you will change your life. Take control of your health. While doctors and many other health practitioners will be a source of helpful tips and resources, you should always be in the driver’s seat. You will have to be proactive to discover various alternative therapies and information that will help you overcome diabetes or manage diabetes better. A lot of it will require trial and error. You have to be confident in your ability to find the answers and solutions to help you manage this chronic disease.
Even if you learn how to manage your blood sugar levels, there may be instances when you may experience rapid swings in blood glucose levels due to stress, certain medications, certain foods you eat, etc. Anticipating and accepting these instances will help you move forward quicker by viewing these as a small bump in the road and not a major catastrophe that derails all your efforts to manage your blood sugar levels.
You are more than capable of conquering diabetes. You have to believe that in order to make the necessary changes you need to make and either reverse this condition or comfortably manage diabetes while keeping symptoms and complications to a minimum.