Additional Diabetes Information:
The occurrence of Diabetes is not by chance, but the result of a series of factors. People get type 1 Diabetes mainly because they have a family history of this disease and they have inherited the genetic factors. By contrast, type 2 Diabetes has more risk factors besides genetic factor. The following are some possible factors which can increase the risk of type 2 Diabetes:
1. You're older than 45 years of age. Type 2 Diabetes is more easily to occur in people who are older than 45 years old. This is different from type 1 Diabetes, which often occurs in children.
2. You're overweight. Obesity is another risk factor of type 2 Diabetes. Too much fat in your body can cause insulin resistance, which is what happens in type 2 Diabetes.
3. You don't exercise regularly. This is somewhat related with obesity, but less exercise can also lead to a weakened immune system and make you easily affected by various infections.
4. One of your family members has Diabetes. As mentioned above, genetic factor is one of the main causes of Diabetes.
5. You have high blood pressure (135/80 mm Hg). This point reminds you that if you have high blood pressure, you should pay attention to it and try to take it under control; otherwise it would not only increase your risk factor of Diabetes but also cause many other problems such as cardiovascular disease and kidney disease.
6. You gave birth to a baby who weighed more than 9 pounds or you had gestational diabetes while you were pregnant.
7. You're African American, Hispanic American/Latino, Native American, Asian American or Pacific Islander.
8.Obesity is a very important factor for NIDDM. For fat people, the insulin receptor in the adipose cell membrane decreases, and the affinity to insulin decreases. In addition, the degree of obesity and the lasting time of obesity both will influence the occurence of high blood pressure. What's more, the more serious the obesity is, the longer the time last, the more easily Diabetes will happen.
Therefore, if you have one or more of these risk factors, you may have higher risk of getting Diabetes. After knowing these, you should do what you can to prevent it.
This is some basic information of the reasons why people get Diabetes, but there are still many other things for you to learn. Read more on our website and consult our experts online in case of any problems.