Additional Diabetes Information:
Hemoglobin A1c,often known as HbA1c is frequently seen in diabetic report. For newly-diagnosed diabetics, it is still strange. If you are one of them, go on to read this article.
What is Hemoglobin A1c(HbA1c)?
Hemoglobin A1c, as its name suggests, is combination of hemoglobin and blood glucose. The level of HbA1c is proportional to that of blood glucose. However, different from blood glucose, it can keep such level for 120 days. Therefore, the HbA1c examination can reflect whether blood glucose is well controlled or not within 8 to 12 weeks.
What is the features of HbA1c?
1) Proportional to the level of blood glucose.
2) Slow formation. Compared with blood glucose,HbA1c is relatively stable. Transitory rise or decline won't lead to decline of HbA1c. Also, it cannot be affected by meals. Due to this fact, it can be tested before or after meal.
3) It refers to the proportion of HbA1c and total hemoglobin, so the level of hemoglobin won't affect HbA1c.
What do the different levels mean?
4%~6%: means good control of blood glucose.
6%~7%: means moderate control of blood glucose.
7%~8%: means not good control.
8%~9%: means bad control .
>9%: means very bad control. Such level of blood glucose surely
Increases the risk of developing diabetic complications, such as Diabetic Nephropathy, diabetic eye, diabetic foot,etc. ADA advises diabetics to control the blood glucose level below 7%.
How to diagnose Diabetes by HbAlc test?
HbAlc test is often done at a laboratory or conducted in hospital clinics, which is traditionally a measure of long-term control of glucose level in the bloodstream and is recommended by the American Diabetes Association as an option for Diagnosis of Diabetes. By measuring HbAlc, we can get an average blood glucose reading.
(1) For non-diabetics, the normal reading is 4~5.9%.
(2) For people with Diabetes, the HbAlc level is at or above 6.5%.
(3) People at greater risk of hypoglycaemia(low blood glucose) may have HbAlc of 7.5%.
Therefore people can detect their own condition according to above criteria and timely take measures to decrease the risk of Diabetes.
Besides, with early detection and timely treatment, Diabetics can decrease the incidence of complications of Diabetes. Stem Cell Transplantation and Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy of Shijiazhuang Kidney Disease Hospital can effectively treat Diabetes and help patients regain normal life.