Additional Diabetes Information:
Highly effective and popular oral diabetes drug Metformin is an aid for Type II diabetes. Metformin performs by reducing the amount of glucose that is produced in the liver and by making body cells more sensitive to insulin.
Metformin was approved by the US FDA in 1994 for having the ability to reduce blood glucose ways. levels in the following It can lower the amount of glucose that is created in the liver in addition to the amount absorbed through the stomach. By lowering existing blood glucose levels it can improve the effectiveness of insulin in the body. However when used alone it does not increase the strength of blood insulin neither does it produce excessively low blood glucose amounts.
A study published by the American Diabetes Association revealed metformin was able to reduce the fasting plasma glucose concentration by -60 to -70 mg/dl in those who had non-insulin dependent type II diabetes. Metformin can also lower haemoglobin A1C levels (blood measurement of glycosylation). One of the most damaging effects of diabetes is protein degradation which is triggered by the forming of advanced glycated end products. A decline in serum haemoglobin A1C is a good indicator for regular glucose control in diabetics.
Recently there has been some evidence of vitamin b12 deficiency in those who take metformin.
As Metformin can inhibit the uptake of Vitamin B12 a B12 supplement is strongly recommended.
Vitamin B12 plays a number of important roles in the body which include:
1. Being largely responsible for creating, maintaining and repairing red blood cells
2. Allows a smoother functioning of the healthy nervous system
3. Controls Homocysteine levels, a deficiency in Vitamin B12 would result in hematological conditions thus increasing the risk of stroke heart diseases and osteoporosis
4. Promotes healthy Skin & Hair
5. Promotes absorption of folic acid which is essential for the synthesis of red blood cells in the body
6. Aids weight loss through speeding the metabolism process, therefore burning more calories
7. Promotes a healthy pregnancy as pregnant women require a higher quantity of Vitamin B12
8. Helps combat mental decline
9 .Treats depression by promoting activity of hormones and neurotransmitters that can influence your mood and emotional state,
10. Allows better sleep by enhancing the production of Melatonin
The bringing together of Metformin and Vitamin B12 makes a good combination to fight diabetes.