Diabetes Recipe: Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms
Try this low-cost dish that is both healthy and packed with flavor.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine
10 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- Place the chicken breast in a plastic bag and pound thin with a mallet.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet.
- Dredge the chicken in flour and coat it on both sides. Add the chicken to the pan and sauté 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the margarine in the pan. Add the mushrooms and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan and bring it to a boil to reduce the liquid.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and simmer 2 more minutes. Add the chicken breast back to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
Recipe Cost: $8.25
Side Suggestion: Serve this over brown rice, quinoa, or another whole grain. Add a nonstarchy vegetable like steamed broccoli or green beans to complete your meal.