Diabetes Recipe: BBQ Meatballs
These barbeque meatballs can be ready in just 30 minutes. Serve them up with a green salad and a side of corn or roasted sweet potatoes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 5
20 oz 93% fat-free lean ground turkey
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt-free steak seasoning
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup reduced-sugar BBQ sauce
1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey, egg, oats, garlic, mustard, hot sauce, steak seasoning, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Scoop meatballs the size of a heaping tablespoon on to the baking sheet, setting them side by side so they are touching, to make 25 meatballs. Spray the tops of the meatballs with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- While the meatballs are baking, whisk together the BBQ sauce, cranberry sauce, chicken broth, and hot sauce (optional). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- When the meatballs are done, toss them in the BBQ sauce to coat.
Recipe Cost: $9.89
Side Suggestion: Serve this dish with a green salad with light ranch dressing and steamed corn niblets.
Choices/Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Protein, 1 Fat