Diabetes Recipe: Braised Fennel and White Beans
Pair these braised beans and fennel with a side of a chicken for a complete, comforting meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
Nonstick cooking spray
2 medium fennel bulbs (11 oz each), stems and fronds removed, cut into eighths
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 (15.5-oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray
- Arrange the fennel and onion in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the olive oil, broth and vinegar over the fennel and onion, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring half way through.
- Stir in the beans and parsley and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Chef Tip: Fennel is also delicious served raw. Thinly slice it and toss it in a salad.
Recipe Cost: $7.50
Choices/Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 1/2 Fat