Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms
Healthy eating can be done on a budget and this dinner proves it! Chicken thighs are less expensive than chicken breast and can be a nice change. This makes a tasty, low-carb, budget-friendly meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon trans-fat free margarine
½ onion, finely diced
8 ounce package sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 ½ cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken thighs and sauté for 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add margarine to pan and melt. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes until liquid is released; stirring frequently.
- Add balsamic vinegar to pan and cook with mushrooms for 1 minute. Add chicken thighs back to pan and place mushrooms on top of chicken. Pour chicken broth into pan.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a heavy, tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Recipe Cost: $7.82
Side Suggestion: Heat up your favorite frozen vegetable medley and serve alongside chicken. You could also add 1/3 cup brown rice to your meal.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Make sure to buy gluten-free chicken broth and confirm all other ingredients are gluten-free and this dish can be made gluten-free.