Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Chicken Sausage Hash
You can feed a family of four for under $10 with this recipe. Make it the night before to save time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 links apple chicken sausage, diced
¼ cup water
1 pound (2 large or 4 small) sweet potatoes, roasted whole, peeled and diced
- Add olive oil and a generous amount of cooking spray to a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms and red bell pepper for 6-7 minutes or until starting to caramelize.
- Add the thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, ground black pepper and garlic. Mix well and sauté 1-2 more minutes.
- Stir in the chicken sausage and water and sauté for 3-4 more minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan to mix in any brown bits on the bottom.
- Gently stir in diced, cooked sweet potatoes and serve.
Side Suggestion: Serve with a mixed green salad with light balsamic vinaigrette. This would increase the cost of your meal to $9.95.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Ensure the ingredients you are using are gluten-free and this recipe can be gluten-free.