Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Greek Salad and Grilled Shrimp Pitas
Serve this dish with a cup of cold gazpacho soup or with sautéed zucchini seasoned with lemon juice and oregano.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
½ large cucumber (or 1 small), peeled and sliced
1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
4 whole wheat pita pocket halves (2 whole pitas)
12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, onion, cucumber, feta cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and oregano.
- Fill each pita pocket half with ¼ of lettuce mixture. Set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt (optional), ground black pepper and cayenne pepper. Spray shrimp with cooking spray.
- Grill shrimp for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and add 3 shrimp to each pita.
Recipe cost: $10.15