Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Grilled Flank Steak Quesadilla
Serve this quesadilla with a side salad lightly tossed in a low-fat cilantro vinaigrette.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
4 limes, zested and juiced (about 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 Tbsp lime zest)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ pound flank steak
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
½ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
8 Low-Carb High-Fiber tortillas (6 -7 inches in diameter)
- Prepare an indoor or outdoor grill.
- Add lime zest, lime juice, cilantro, garlic and flank steak to a Ziploc bag or bowl. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove steak from marinade and discard remaining marinade. Season with salt (optional) and pepper on both sides and grill over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side. Set aside to rest.
- While steak is grilling, coat the red bell pepper slices with cooking spray and grill on each side for 4-5 minutes. When done grilling, dice the pepper and set aside.
- After meat has finished resting, thinly slice the meat against the grain, then chop to mince the meat. Stir the minced meat and peppers together.
- Add the cheese to the meat mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add cooking spray and one tortilla. Top with ¼ of the meat mixture and then top with another tortilla.
- Sauté the quesadilla for 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat the process for the remaining three quesadillas.
Recipe Cost: $10.09