Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Herb Garlic Meatloaf
This savory budget-friendly meat loaf is just as good as classic meatloaf. Our diabetes-friendly version is made with lean ground turkey and is seasoned with fresh herbs and garlic.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
1 piece whole wheat bread
¼ cup egg substitute
20 oz. lean ground turkey (93% lean)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
½ cup ketchup, divided
½ tsp. salt (optional)
½ tsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. hot sauce, optional
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, break up the piece of whole wheat bread into pea-sized pieces. Add egg and mix well.
- Add turkey, garlic, oregano, basil, ¼ cup ketchup, salt (optional) and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Press the turkey mixture into the loaf pan tightly. Put in oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, whisk together remaining ¼ cup of ketchup, balsamic vinegar and hot sauce (optional).
- After the meatloaf has baked for 20 minutes, pour the ketchup and balsamic glaze over the meatloaf. Return to the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf is 165 degrees F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Cost: $8.12 for entire recipe, $1.35 per serving
Side Suggestion: Serve with oven roasted sweet potatoes.