Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Salmon Burgers
These burgers are a good way to spice up your menu! They are packed with heart-healthy salmon, plus some veggies. To keep the carbohydrate count low, these are served over bibb lettuce instead of on a bun.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
½ small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 pound skinless salmon, cut into chunks
¼ cup cilantro
6 iceberg or bibb lettuce leaves
2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and Thai curry paste in a large food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the salmon and puree until smooth. Add the egg and cilantro and puree until incorporated.
- Scoop the mixture in ½ cup portions onto the baking sheet and press lightly to form a patty. Repeat to make 6 patties.
- Spray the top of each patty with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve each salmon burger in a lettuce leaf and top each with 1 tablespoon sliced scallions.
Side Suggestion: Serve these burgers with a green salad that has been drizzled with light sesame ginger vinaigrette.
Recipe Cost: $10.28 for 6 servings