Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Summer Vegetable Frittata
This frittata is a great way to get more veggies into your day. Have it for brunch or dinner!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small onion, diced
3 cups fresh spinach
5 egg whites
¼ cup skim milk
½ teaspoon salt (optional
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add olive oil to an oven safe, non-stick, sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until all of the liquid from the mushrooms is evaporated.
- Add bell pepper, onion and spinach and sauté until vegetables are softened and liquid is evaporated.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, salt (optional), pepper, cayenne pepper and basil in a medium bowl. Pour over vegetables and stir until eggs start to set.
- Smooth the top of the frittata with a spatula, and put in oven to bake for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Slide the frittata out of the pan onto a plate and slice into 8 pie slices.
Side Suggestion: Serve this frittata with a green salad with light balsamic vinaigrette.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Ensure all ingredients are gluten-free and this recipe can be gluten-free.