Diabetes Recipe: BudgetFriendly Veggie Burgers with Mango Slaw
Serve this vegetarian dish with sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella salad.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup diced mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 mango (unripened or not soft), peeled, seeded and shredded
1 9-ounce bag coleslaw mix
2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large lettuce leaves
- Coat a large non-stick sauté pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine cannellini beans, onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oatmeal, Montreal steak seasoning and salt (optional) in a food processor. Pulse several times until mixture is combined but not a paste.
- Divide burger mixture into 6 equal portions, form into patties.
- Heat prepared sauté pan over medium high heat. Sauté burgers on each side 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded mango, coleslaw mix, rice wine vinegar and olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Add a burger to a lettuce leaf, top with ¾ cup coleslaw mixture.
Recipe cost: $9.75