Diabetes Recipe: Chicken and Dumplings
Try these chicken and dumplings for a budget-friendly family dinner. Add a side of roasted green beans to complete your meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
8 ounce package sliced mushrooms
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
8 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- Mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, sage, salt (optional), and pepper in a medium bowl. Add yogurt, egg, and water and knead to make a slightly sticky dough. Cover the bowl and set aside.
- Add cooking spray and olive oil to a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the chicken and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into an 8 inch disk that is ½-inch thick. Cut the dough into 1 inch pieces and drop the dumplings into the simmering broth. Stir frequently until all the dumplings are added.
- Simmer the dumplings for 10 minutes and serve.
Recipe Cost: $9.84
Side Suggestion: Green beans are a spring vegetable. Lightly coat fresh green beans with a teaspoon or so of olive oil, roast them, and serve as a side with this meal.