Diabetes Recipe: Crab Cake Burger
This is great with a green salad with cilantro lime vinaigrette.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
4/1 Cup minced onion
2 (6-ounce) cans lump crabmeat, drained
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg white
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 Cup lite mayonnaise
1/4 Cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
1/2 Cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
6 large lettuce leaves1.5 cups shredded lettuce
1 ripe tomato, cut into 6 slices
1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced into 12 slices
- Coat a small non-stick skillet with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes or until onions are clear. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl combine crabmeat, breadcrumbs, egg, egg white, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in cooled onion.
- Add oil and a generous amount of cooking spray to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Form crab mixture into 1/2-inch thick patties using a heaping 1/4 cup. Fry about 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, adobo sauce and corn.
- Place each crab cake on a lettuce leaf. Place 1/4 cup lettuce, 1 tomato slice and 2 avocado slices on top of each crab cake and top with 2 Tbsp. of sauce.
RECIPE COST: $11.18