Diabetes Recipe: Crockpot Italian Sausage and Vegetables
Need a flavorful meal, but don’t have time to cook? Your family will love this mouth-watering meal, and it smells delicious cooking all day in your kitchen. You can serve it on a whole-wheat bun or with a small side of pasta or spaghetti squash.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ready-to-cook Italian turkey sausage links (about 3 ounces each)
1 large green pepper, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
16 ounces frozen Italian-style vegetables (unseasoned broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, & zucchini)
- In a small bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté for about 2 minutes per side until brown. Remove from the pan.
- Layer the green peppers and onions on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the Italian sausage links on top of the pepper and onion mixture. Pour frozen Italian vegetables on top of Italian sausage.
- Pour the diced tomatoes mixture on top of the Italian sausage.
- Place the cover on the crock pot. Cook on low setting for 6 hours or until done (cooking times vary based on the crock pot).
Recipe Cost: $8.93
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Confirm all ingredients are gluten-free and this recipe can be made gluten-free.