Diabetes Recipe: Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Here’s a light and tasty summer taco recipe that’s great for a family dinner or the next time you have guests.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
½ teaspoon chili powder
12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
4 long bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 cup shredded lettuce
½ cup salsa verde
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and chili powder. Cover and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- Skewer 3 ounces of shrimp on each skewer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt (optional) and pepper. Brush the shrimp with the marinade and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until the shrimp are pink and just firm. Continue to brush with the marinade while grilling, using all of the marinade.
- Heat the corn tortillas briefly on the grill. Remove the shrimp from one skewer and place in a tortilla. Top the shrimp with ¼ cup shredded lettuce, a heaping tablespoon of the reserved yogurt sauce, and 2 tablespoons of salsa verde. Repeat for the remaining three tacos.
Recipe Cost: $9.29
Side Suggestion: Serve this dish with a green salad tossed with cilantro lime vinaigrette.