Diabetes Recipe: Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs with Wild Rice
Honey Dijon mustard makes these chicken thighs sweet and tangy. Add a side of nonstarchy vegetables and dinner is done!
This Recipe Serves 4
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup honey Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3/4 tsp dried thyme
2 cups cooked wild rice (prepared according to package directions)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, garlic and pepper.
- Spread about 1 1/2 Tbsp mustard mixture evenly on top of each chicken thigh.
- Arrange chicken in a glass baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until mustard mixture has formed a crust and is slightly hardened.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle thyme on top of chicken. Serve each chicken thigh over 1/2 cup wild rice.
Dietitian Tip: Whole grains such as oats, wild rice, whole-wheat bread and quinoa provide more fiber, vitamins and minerals than refined grains. Portion control is still important when including these healthier carbohydrates in your meal plan. Broccoli Almondine would be a great side dish with this meal.
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Verify all ingredients gluten-free and this dish can be made gluten-free.
Recipe Cost: $6.35
Choices: 1 Starch, 1/2 Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Protein