Diabetes Recipe: Jalapeo Chicken and Corn Chowder
This hearty main-dish chowder is full of chunky goodness, including sweet corn and juicy chicken. Jalapeño peppers give it a touch of spicy heat.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This Recipe Serves 8
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
4 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob (or 4 cups frozen kernels, thawed and drained)
1 Tbsp no-salt seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash or sodium-free Spike seasoning)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño, garlic, and corn and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the no-salt seasoning, black pepper, and chicken broth. Bring to boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and puree about half of the soup, using an immersion blender or an upright blender. If using an upright blender, puree in batches and be sure not to overfill the blender. Return the puree to the pot.
- Add the chicken and heat through. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the yogurt and serve. Do not boil the soup once the yogurt is added.
Recipe Cost: $8.57
Chef Tip: For a crunchy garnish, serve this soup with a few baked tortilla chips, crushed and sprinkled on top.
Choices: 1 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein