Diabetes Recipe: Miso Glazed Cod
Broiling fish fillets and stir-frying vegetables makes this savory 20-minute meal come together in a flash. Serve with brown rice or another whole grain if desired.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
Nonstick cooking spray
1 lb white fish such as cod, sea bass or orange roughy
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, divided
1 Tbsp powdered instant miso soup mix, powder only
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
2 cups sliced snow peas
1 tablespoon Asian style hot sauce (sambal oelek)
- Preheat oven to broil. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut the fish into 4 4-oz portions and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and the miso soup mix powder to form a paste. Brush the tops of each of the fish fillets with the glaze (coating will be very thin). Spray each fillet with cooking spray and place baking sheet on middle rack of the oven. Broil for 6 minutes.
- While the fish is broiling, add the remaining 1 1/2 tsp of sesame oil and more cooking spray to a wok or large saute pan over high heat. Stir fry the cabbage, garlic, snow peas and hot sauce for 4 minutes, until just wilted but still slightly crunchy.
- Remove fish from baking sheet and serve on top of 3/4 cup of the stir-fried vegetables.
Chef Tip: Have leftover napa cabbage? It’s sweeter and more tender than regular green cabbage. Enjoy it raw and shredded in a salad or on a burger or sandwich.
Recipe Cost: $10.50
Choices/Exchanges: 2 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 3 Lean Protein