Diabetes Recipe: OnePot Roasted Chicken with Acorn Squash
The apples and cinnamon in this savory one-pot main dish will fill your home with a delicious Autumn aroma.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 55 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
4 (4-oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp olive oil
1 acorn squash (1 1/4 lb)
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with the rosemary. In a Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pot and sear for 3 minutes per side.
- Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Cut each half into quarters; discard ends.
- Place the acorn squash and apple slices around the chicken. Drizzle the honey evenly over the squash and apple slices and then sprinkle them with cinnamon. Pour the water over the chicken.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the oven, uncovered. To serve, pour some of the juices over the chicken, squash, and apples.
Dietitian Tip: Serve this dish with two portions of nonstarchy veggies to make a nutritious meal using the easy-to-remember diabetes plate diagram (1/4 plate lean protein, ¼ plate starch or grain, ½ plate nonstarchy veggies).
Recipe Cost: $8.03
MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Verify all ingredients gluten-free and this dish can be gluten-free.
Choices: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fruit, 2 Lean Protein, 1 Fat