Diabetes Recipe: Pesto Chicken Kabobs
A quick and easy recipe, these kabobs offer a great source of protein. Try pairing it with our Quinoa Pilaf, which is also found in our recipe archives!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 7 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
8 bamboo skewers
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves (1 bunch of basil)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (aim for 24 pieces of chicken)
2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces (aim for 24 pieces of zucchini)
24 cherry tomatoes
- Soak the bamboo skewers in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat an indoor or outdoor grill.
- While the skewers are soaking, blend the olive oil, garlic, basil, pine nuts, black pepper and parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor.
- Thread alternating pieces of chicken, zucchini and tomato onto the soaked skewers starting and ending with the chicken, using 3 pieces of chicken, 3 pieces of zucchini and 3 tomatoes.
- Brush the kabobs with the basil mixture, coating well.
- Grill the kabobs about 7 minutes, brushing with the basil mixture until it is all used. Turn the kabobs frequently until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 degrees F.
Recipe Cost: $11.84
Choices/Exchanges: 2 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 4 Lean Protein, 1 Fat