Diabetes Recipe: Roasted Beet and Chicken Salad with Goat Cheese
To save time, you can use the chicken breast meat from a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make this recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
4 small beets
2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
6 cups baby arugula lettuce
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place them on the baking sheet. Lay the chicken breasts on the baking sheet next to the beets. Coat the chicken with cooking spray and season it with the salt (optional) and black pepper. Roast the chicken and beets for 25-30 minutes or until internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken breasts from the oven and set aside. Once slightly cool, slice the chicken into thin slices.
- Continue to roast the beets until tender, another 15-20 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven and set aside.
- Once the beets are cool, peel the skin off and cut each beet into ½-inch chunks.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, vegetable broth, honey, Dijon mustard, and garlic.
- Add the arugula and beet chunks to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each salad with ¼ of the chicken breast slices, 1 tablespoon goat cheese and 1 tablespoon slivered almonds.
Recipe Cost: $9.68