Diabetes Recipe: Roasted Chicken and Arugula Salad
Try this budget-friendly dish for lunch or dinner this week. To minimize prep time, cook the chicken and make the dressing ahead of time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
2 lb bone-in, skin-on chicken breast
1 Tbsp salt-free all purpose seasoning (like Mrs. Dash or Salt-Free Spike seasoning)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
6 cups arugula
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced (equivalent to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lay the chicken breasts skin side up on a sheet pan and season with the salt-free seasoning.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Set the chicken aside to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, salt (optional), and pepper.
- Peel the skin off the chicken and remove the bone (discard the skin and bone). Cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks.
- Toss the chicken, arugula, onion, and golden raisins in the dressing and serve.
Serve with: Warm whole wheat dinner rolls spread lightly with trans-fat-free margarine.
Recipe Cost: $10.71
Choices/Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit, 1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 4 Lean Protein, 1 Fat