Diabetes Recipe: Roasted Turkey and Vegetables
Serve this dish with roasted sweet potatoes. It’;s a great option for the holidays if you don’t want to cook the entire bird!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 6
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 small or 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
½ head cabbage, chopped
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
2 ½ pounds bone in turkey breast half
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon no salt Spike seasoning (or other no salt seasoning like Mrs. Dash)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss all of the vegetables and thyme together and place in the bottom of the pan. Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables.
- Remove the skin from the turkey breast. Place it breast side up on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the turkey and vegetables with the olive oil and sprinkle it with the seasoning and ground black pepper.
- Roast the turkey and vegetables in the oven for 1 hour or until the internal temperature of the turkey is 165 degrees F.
- When the turkey comes out of the oven. Set it aside on a cutting board to rest. Remove the thyme stems and stir the vegetables.
- Slice the turkey into 4-ounce slices and serve with the vegetables.
Recipe Cost: $11.84