Diabetes Recipe: Roasted Veggie Strata
This egg-based entrée is great any time of the day and the leftovers can be an easy grab-and-go lunch for the next day.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 8
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 medium (6-ounce) sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ teaspoon salt-free Spike seasoning
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon dried mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 (1.5-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss all of the vegetables together and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Spray the vegetables with 5-6 sprays of cooking spray and season with salt-free Spike seasoning.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, dried mustard, sage, salt (optional), and black pepper.
- Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Tear four pieces of the whole wheat bread into pieces and layer them on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with ½ the roasted vegetables and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Pour half the egg mixture over the bread, vegetables, and cheese.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining torn bread, vegetables, cheese, and egg mixture. Press down on the casserole with a spatula to ensure all of the bread soaks in the egg mixture. Let the strata sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Bake the strata for 30 minutes.
- To serve, cut the strata down the middle lengthwise, then cut down the middle width-wise. Cut each half down the middle width-wise again to make 8 equal servings.
Recipe Cost: $9.59
Side Suggestion: Serve this strata with a green salad topped with light balsamic vinaigrette.
Choices: 1½ Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Lean Protein