Diabetes Recipe: Slow Cooker Pork and Pumpkin Stew
Slow cookers allow for a no-fuss meal that everyone will enjoy. Serve steamed nonstarchy vegetables or a salad with this stew for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 70 minutes
This Recipe Serves 8
16 oz pork shoulder, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt-free seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 onion, peeled, large dice
4 celery stalks, large dice
3 carrots, peeled, large dice
1 small sugar/pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded, large dice
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 (14.5-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Season the cubed pork with the pepper and salt-free seasoning.
- Add the oil to a large sauté pan over high heat and brown the pork, cooking for about 8 minutes. If using a small pan, brown the pork in batches to ensure even browning.
- Remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Add the tomato paste, beef broth, and cinnamon to the pan and whisk to incorporate the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the browned meat, liquid, and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, 40 minutes (or low for 7 hours, 40 minutes). Stir in the beans and cook for 20 minutes more. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Chef Tip: Substitute any winter squash or sweet potato for the pumpkin in this recipe.
Recipe Cost: $7.49
Choices: 1/2 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein