Diabetes Recipe: Turkey and Cabbage Buns
Serve this dish with a large green salad drizzled lightly with low-fat salad dressing.
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
0.25-ounce package active dry yeast
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 ounces lean ground turkey (93% fat free)
½ cup chopped onion
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, mix together both flours, yeast, and hot water. Mix until a ball forms and then kneed for 10 minutes. Place the dough into a clean bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- While the dough is rising, add the olive oil and a generous amount of cooking spray to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the turkey and sauté until just cooked through.
- Add the onion, cabbage, garlic powder, sage, salt (optional) and black pepper. Sauté until the cabbage is soft. Set aside to cool.
- Once the bread dough has risen for an hour, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Punch the dough down and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball slightly and cut it into 8 equal-sized balls.
- Roll each ball out into a 6 inch disk. Place 1/3 cup of the ground turkey filling in the middle of the disk and pull all the sides up and pinch together to form a bun. Place the bun seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Repeat the process for the remaining 7 buns (the buns should be touching in the pan). Cover lightly and let rise for 20 minutes.
- After the buns rise, bake them for 30 minutes.
Recipe Cost: $7.59