Diabetes Recipe: Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
This is a great veggie-filled version of a typically high-carb and high-fat dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 8
1 pound bag brown lentils
32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 (8-ounce) cartons sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 (16-ounce) bunch fresh green beans, trimmed and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can lite coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt, divided (optional)
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse and pick through the lentils. Add the lentils and vegetable broth to a sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until the lentils are tender (about 20 minutes).
- While the lentils are cooking, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until cooked through and all the liquid is evaporated. Add the onion, carrots, celery, green beans, and garlic, and sauté until the onions turn clear and the carrots start to soften.
- Add one cup of the cooked lentils and any liquid into the vegetables and stir to combine. Reserve the remaining lentils. Pour ½ can of the coconut milk (reserve the other ½ can) into the vegetables. Stir to combine. Add ½ teaspoon of salt (optional) and the pepper.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the 9×13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining lentils with the rest of the coconut milk, ½ teaspoon salt (optional), and parsley. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until fluffy. Spoon the lentils over the top of the lentil/vegetable mixture and gently spread to cover the entire top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the Shepherd’s Pie rest for 10 minutes out of the oven before serving.
Recipe Cost: $8.24