Diabetes Recipe: Whole Grain Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie is traditionally high in fat and carbohydrate. This lighter version is full of lean protein, veggies and whole grains.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
This Recipe Serves 8
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp cold trans-fat-free margarine
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
12 oz cooked chicken, chopped
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour and baking powder. Cut in the margarine and then add the parsley and milk, and gently stir to combine. Refrigerate until needed.
- Add the olive oil and a generous amount of cooking spray to a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms. Sauté for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft but not mushy.
- Stir in the cooked chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, skim milk, salt and ground black pepper. Add to the vegetable mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the baking dish. Drop clumps of the whole wheat crust mixture on top of the chicken and vegetable mixture (the topping will be very sticky). Use a spoon to gently spread the topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve.
Recipe Cost: $9.25
Choices/Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein, 1/2 Fat