Diabetes Recipe: Zucchini Noodles with Turkey Meatballs
These zucchini noodles keep the amount of carbohydrate in this dish low. You could also try sautéing the zucchini noodles if you’d like.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
This Recipe Serves 4
1 ¼ pounds lean ground turkey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, slightly beaten
½ cup oatmeal
Noodles and Sauce
1 (24-ounce) jar lower-sodium pasta sauce
4 medium zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix the turkey, garlic, oregano, parsley, dried onion, parmesan cheese, egg, and oatmeal in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop the meat mixture into 12 meatballs and lay them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- While the meatballs are cooking, use a julienne peeler, a spiralizer, or mandolin set on the julienne setting and cut the zucchini into “noodles”. Place the noodles in a large microwave dish with a lid and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Heat the marinara sauce in a large sauce pan. Add the cooked meatballs to the hot sauce and pour over zucchini noodles.
Recipe Cost: $9.56